About the location
Location St. Bonifatiuskirche, Zgorzelec
Address ul. Emilii Plater 9, 59-900 Zgorzelec, Polen
Following two years of construction, the Roman Catholic Church of St. Bonifatius was consecrated in 1930. The church was designed by Görlitz architect Bernhard Sander. It served as a parish church and as a garrison church for the city of Görlitz. Since 1939, the church has housed the organ from the Görlitz synagogue. During the Second World War, Father Franz Scholz provided pastoral care for the prisoners of war in Stalag VIII, a camp located near present-day Zgorzelec. One of these prisoners was the French composer Olivier Messiaen, who wrote his “Quartet for the End of Time” while incarcerated there.