About the location
Location Filmtheater Weltspiegel, Cottbus
Address Rudolf-Breitscheid-Straße 78, 03046 Cottbus
The Filmtheater Weltspiegel (Mirror to the World) is Germany’s second-oldest existing cinema. It was built in 1911 and is under heritage protection as a prime example of Jugendstil architecture. It originally offered seating for as many as 800 viewers and showed its first sound film in 1929. The ceiling was once decorated in gold leaf, and the rose marble stairway is particularly striking. The Filmtheater Weltspiegel belonged to the Ufa concern until 1998. Following an extensive restoration and expansion project, the theatre was reopened on 31 May 2011 with a festive ceremony whose guests included director Wim Wenders.